Athens Urban Adventure
Day tours, with a local
Athens Urban Adventures allows you to explore this well-known city through hands-on experiental Athens sightseeing tours. Athens is known all around the world, from history classes to TV Documentaries. But our passion and real life approach will give you a different discovery of it with our Athens tours.
The name of the Greek Capital comes from the Goddess “Athina” who had qualities of wisdom and peace. The city has a rich history dating back from Paleolithic times, Acropolis and the Greek classic period, the Roman times, the Byzantine era, the Ottoman occupation and finally modern times. On our Athens tours you will be able to observe a multitude of historical cultures and architecture like the Parthenon, Roman temples, old and new Christian churches, Turkish old hamams, 18th and 19th century traditional houses like in Plaka, or more traditional areas like Monastiraki and Thession. During your tour of Athens you will notices squares that had been renovated and surrounded by Necolassical buildings made by architects fond of Greece and its past, who wanted to revive mythology and historical facts.
We will show you this past during your tour of Athens, the survival of the Athenian citizen and the respect of keeping ancient monuments without imposing technologies, but using it. Some places in the center of Athens are an Oasis, away from busy and noisy traffic jams.
During your tour of Athens wonder in Plaka or Thission into another time. Walk through churches and ruins, and obtain some souvenirs in shops with traditional and local products like leather sandals or bags, statues, agricultural products like olives, and find musical instruments like the bouzouki.
All these discoverings can be done with 1 or 2 tours of Athens with special itineraries enriching your time and knowledge in an original and happy walk.
from 2 reviews
From EUR 40.00
Greece is the type of place where you can see ancient ruins while on the Metro - no biggie! Join this Athens tour to do this as well as sip ouzo, admire old and new architecture, and see a traditional Greek changing of the guard ceremony.more...
Markets, Ruins & Ancient Athens
from 3 reviews
From EUR 40.00
Athens makes travelling easy; the streets are filled with cultural, historic, and culinary icons. The problem is knowing which streets. Join this Athens tour to enjoy the benefits of having a local guide who will show you fresh produce, retail hot spots, ruins, temples, markets, and mosques.more...
Taste of Athens
from 3 reviews
From EUR 46.00
See the 'big five' of Greek cuisine in their natural habitat: ouzo, feta, olives, olive oil, and koulouri! If you don't know what koulouri is you soon will as this Athens tour explains it all live as you eat it (but not before you Instagram it).more...
Athens Festivals and Epidaure
Place: Athens & Epidaure - [ 01/06/2015 - 31/08/2015 ]
Athens is known for its culture in the world, being said to be the bases of Western civilization and is host to many theatrical plays.Traditional Greek dances
Place: Athens - [ 25/05/2015 - 19/09/2015 ]
Greeks are very proud of their dances. They have so many type of dances all over Greece that are exhibited during this show held from May to September.more events...
more... more stories...
28 Jan 2015 Our guide turned a rainy day into a wonderful experience. The combination of historical and contemporary commentary brought a deeper appreciation for the city.
26 Oct 2014 Really enjoyed our Taste of Athens Urban Adventure with Nikita. We sampled coffee, olives, cheese, breads and much more. A fabulous experience which ended in a basement restaurant . . . Great experience.
23 Aug 2014 Hi, I would like to write a review about the experience we had with Urban Adventures and the tour guide we had, who was very knowledgeable, friendly, however embarrassingly we forgot his name...Are you able to find out which guide we had..? He is about 40,Greek,he is a building engineer,we met on the 19th of August in Athens.. Kind Regards Tunde Fustos, Daniel Sherrington
20 Oct 2013 This tour well exceeded my expectations and was a fantastic way to "feel" some of the Greek culture and way of life while sampling some awesome food.
20 Oct 2013 The opportunity this tour provided to walk, explore and become orintated to the city of Athens was awesome. In such a short few hours I gained a huge amount of knowledge and felt like I knew my way around. It became the backbone that enabled me to have several wonderful days exploring and enjoying the city of Athens. Thank you Nikita for a couple of really wonderful tours, I very much look forward to visiting again
03 Sep 2013 Nikita (I think that was his name), the Athens Urban Adventures guide, was FANTASTIC. So warm, friendly, and knowledgeable. I enjoyed the tour immensely. Please pass on my compliments!
03 May 2013 We did two Athens Urban Adventures with Nikita. The Taste of Athens provided a wonderful insight into Greek food and culture, and we really enjoyed meeting with the local store keepers and sampling some of the local produce. A particular highlight was enjoying a meal at the basement old-style Athens restaurant. The following day we did the Walking Athens tour. This covered the historical areas and other areas of interest, and provided excellent background information. Thanks very much to Nikita for such great experiences. We have done Urban Adventures in several cities around the world, and they have always provided wonderful experiences and information. We will continue to seek them out.
Athens Urban Adventure team is more than glad to offer to its travelers their best ideas and living experience in Athens city. We have been in this city for more than 35 years with a team of different persons and generations giving a better aspect for interesting visits in the capital of Greece.
Feels like: 15°C
Passing clouds. Refreshingly cool.
Sign up now and get $10 off your next tour!
At Urban Adventures, we firmly believe local travel is one of the best ways we can support responsible tourism. In fact, we believe it so strongly that we’ve made it our entire business! All our tours are run by local experts, not some faceless corporate team located halfway around the world with no sense of the local vibe.
We craft our tours to ensure every traveller has authentic interactions with local people, businesses, transportation, and food and drink. Local travel gives you the opportunity to experience a destination as locals do, and has the potential to impact you in ways you never imagined. In short: local is awesome.
As a responsible travel company, we promise to:
- Use locally owned infrastructure on our tours whenever possible.
- Spread the financial benefits amongst local people and operators.
- Provide employment and leadership opportunities for local people.
- Respect local customs and culture.
- Provide safe tours for Urban Adventure partners, staff, and travellers.
- Educate travellers and our partners about how and why we choose to travel this way.
- Limit any negative impact to the daily lifestyles of local people.
- Limit any physical impact on natural and cultural environments.
- Provide support to organisations and local communities.
- Provide opportunities for travellers to interact with local people.
- Actively ban partners, staff, and passenger participation in or endorsement of commercial sexual activities or illegal drug use on Urban Adventures tours.
- Work to prevent the exploitation of children in tourism.
- Actively discourage participation in activities that exploit animals.
- Use local partners that adhere to Urban Adventures' responsible travel principles.
- Support and encourage fair employment practices.
- Give our travellers the best possible value.
- Have fun!
As a traveller, we ask that you keep the following in mind:
- People: Be mindful of the local citizens, and seek understanding through shared experiences. Consider their customs and values while in their homeland, and when in doubt, ask your guide for advice.
- Environment: Be mindful of the local environment, and act with conservation and sustainability in mind. Follow local guidelines, as recommended by your guide, and make proactive decisions on your own.
- Culture: When travelling to other cultures, remember that not everyone's customs are the same as yours at home. Be respectful, and be mindful of openly questioning a customary practice, even if you disagree with it. Try to understand from their perspective. You may learn something! Your guide will be an excellent point of reference here, so check with them if you're unsure.
- Economy: Make every effort to use local businesses and put your tourism dollars in the right (local) pocket. We use local vendors and businesses, and your guide will be able to advise you on the best ways to support the local economy.