Immerse yourself in the city’s ancient history while also learning about Athens as it is today on this jam-packed Athens tour.
- Discover Athens’s bohemian side, from funky workshops to cool cafés, beyond the mainstream attractions.
- Learn about one of the biggest street art scenes in the world.
- Sip on Greek coffee and spirits, and treat your taste buds to sweet snacks and meze.
- Experience a moonlight walk around Athens, one of the oldest cities in the world.
- Sample Greek wine and spirits like ouzo, raki, and tsipouro at three different local bars.
- Adults 18+ years old
See Two Very Different Sides of Athens
Take a detour down Athens’ back alleys and into neighbourhoods you won’t find in your guidebook!
This tour is all about alternative Athens, where bohemian shops, amazing street art, hidden courtyards, and indie cafés attract locals — and travellers who want to escape the many tourist traps.
Experience a different side to the city as you walk through its historical centre and bustling neighbourhoods after dark.
Listen to urban stories and myths, sample the best local spirits, and try mouth-watering finger food, in an Athens that’s usually exclusively reserved for the locals!
Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- Your tour supports the new generation of Athenians, such as young artists, by promoting their work and their enterprises to help them thrive through financial crisis.
- By joining this tour you are helping to support businesses in neighbourhoods that don’t generally benefit from tourism.
- As part of this tour, you will visit 100% locally owned stores that serve traditional Greek dishes, which helps to preserve local culinary traditions.
- All of the food you sample during your tour is sourced from the Greek countryside.
Inclusions: Local, English-speaking guide, a coffee or soft drink, a glass of local spirits/wine, a local sweet, a “meze” plate (finger food), train ticket, glass of a local spirit at each stop (3 bar stops).
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Duration: 7-8 hours
- Meeting point: At the exit of Panepistimio metro station (in front of the old building of the University of Athens, on Panepistimiou Street). View on Google Maps. Exact GPS Coordinates of the meeting point: 37.980161, 23.733413.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///pastels.asks.tables
- Starting time: 4.00 PM
- Ending point: Monastiraki metro station
Anyone who’s dreamed of visiting Athens has likely read about its ancient glory: the Parthenon, the Caryatids and all the other wonders of Greece’s glorious past.
But Athens isn’t only about the past! It’s also a city very alive in the present, with modern-day stories and secrets just as exciting as the Greek myths!
This Athens total tour combines two of our most popular group tours: Bohemian Tales of the City and Twilight Athens.
We’ll start our tour by sipping a traditional Greek coffee in a secret garden in the centre of the city, a place only known to locals. You’ll stand in awe of a unique monument and hear the myths and tales that surround these legendary buildings.
Continuing our walk, we’ll head off the beaten track and into the winding back, past bohemian workshops, to see middle-class Athenian life first hand.
We’ll check out the surprisingly bustling art scene in the city streets — in fact, the street art scene in Athens is one of the biggest in the world, and (at the risk of sounding like the Dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding) even the word ‘graffiti’ comes from the Greek word grafi, which means ‘written.’
We will continue walking under the moonlight, along ancient streets and laneways, following in the footsteps of famous personalities, hearing secret stories of celebrity visitors, learning about local myths and traditions, spooking ourselves with ghost stories and digging into the city’s music scene.
Next up, we’ll visit three themed bars located in unique secret gardens and on rooftops with splendid vistas. We’ll hang with crowds of cheerful locals enjoying a night out in their home city.
You’ll get to check out corners of the city that only locals visit, and uncover some of the city’s trendiest spots. You’ll also get to participate in some local drinking traditions, sampling ouzo and raki paired with mouth-watering finger foods.
Before you go, don’t forget to ask your local guide for tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress in smart casual clothing.
Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Child Policy: Travellers under 18 years of age are not permitted to join this tour. Please remember to bring a valid government-issued ID with you.
We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests. You can do so in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout, or by emailing us at [email protected].