Immerse yourself in the city’s ancient history while also learning about Athens as it is today on this jam-packed Athens tour.
- Discover Exarcheia, Athens’ most alternative neighbourhood and see for yourself why it’s considered one of the trendiest in Europe.
- Hear stories of student rebellions and anarchist riots and get to know the intellectual and artistic side of the area.
- Learn about one of the biggest street art scenes in the world.
- Treat your taste buds to some special sweet delights and sip traditional Greek coffee like a local.
- Go on by discovering Athens’s bohemian side, from funky workshops to cool cafés, beyond the mainstream attractions.
- Adults Ages 12+
- Children Ages 6-11
- Infants Ages 0-5
Embrace the Athenian Lifestyle
In this combo tour, you will go off the beaten path by discovering the most alternative neighbourhoods in Athens. Stroll around Exarcheia, where the city’s anarchists, students, intellectuals, and artists prefer to live.
Browse the second-hand vinyl and vintage fashion, visit independent coffee shops and contemporary art spaces with us and try special sweet delights.
Then check out downtown with its bohemian shops, incredible street art, hidden courtyards, and indie cafes. This tour is all about the areas of Athens that only the locals know about!
Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- Your tour supports local businesses in neighbourhoods that don’t generally benefit from tourism.
- By visiting 100% local, small-scale businesses, you’ll help them thrive through financial crisis.
- By visiting a 100-year-old local bakery, your tour helps this historic business continue serving authentic local delicacies.
- By joining this tour, you are helping to keep Exarcheia’s unconventional and creative characters in the spotlight, during times where national forces are creating tension.
- Your tour supports the new generation of Athenians, such as young artists, by promoting their work and their enterprises to help them thrive through financial crisis.
Inclusions: Local, English-speaking guide, a coffee or soft drink, 4 special sweet delights at 4 different stops, bottled water, glass of local spirits/wine, a local sweet, a ‘meze’ plate (finger food), train ticket.
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Duration: From 6 to 7 hours
- Meeting point: At the exit of Panepistimio metro station (in front of the old building of the University of Athens, on Panepistimiou Street). View on Google Maps.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///pastels.asks.tables
- Starting time: 1.00 PM
- Ending point: Monastiraki metro station
This tour combines two of our most popular group tours: Exarcheia Sweet Sins & Anarchy and Bohemian Tales of the City.
We’ll start our tour by heading off the beaten tourist track to Exarcheia, the most alternative neighbourhood in Athens and one that retains an unconventional, youthful identity thanks to its residents.
This is where youth culture blends with revolutionary ideas, street culture, and creativity. Exarcheia is the home of students, anarchists and lefties, intellectuals, artists, refugees, and old local families, giving the area a lively yet very local feel.
Get ready to explore the backstreets of the neighbourhood where amazing contemporary art spaces sit alongside second-hand vinyl stores, vintage fashion stores, and independent coffee shops and see why Nick Cave and the Tindersticks choose Exarcheia for their all-night drinking sessions!
Continuing our walk, we’ll head toward the back lanes and past bohemian workshops, to see how life is for middle-class Athenians. We’ll check out the surprisingly bustling art scene in the city streets — in fact, the street art scene in Athens is one of the biggest in the world and even the word ‘graffiti’ comes from the Greek word grafi, which means ‘written,’ (yes we know we sound like the Dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding!)
By the end of this tour, you will have experienced the alternative and bohemian side of Athens. Before you go, don’t forget to ask your local guide for more tips on what else, to see, do and eat during your stay.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable walking shoes.
Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Additional Information: Please wear comfortable walking shoes
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests. You can do so in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout, or by emailing us at [email protected].