Immerse yourself in the city’s ancient history while also learning about Athens as it is today on this jam-packed Athens tour.
- Discover Exarcheia, Athens’ most alternative neighbourhood, and see for yourself why it’s considered one of the coolest neighbourhoods in Europe.
- Hear stories of student rebellions and anarchist riots and get to know the intellectual and artistic side of the district.
- Learn about one of the biggest street art scenes in the world.
- Dig up the most unexpected souvenirs in only-locals-know vintage fashion stores, second-hand vinyl stores, and local grocers.
- Treat your taste buds to some special sweet delights and sip traditional Greek coffee like a local.
- Adults Ages 12+
- Children Ages 6-11
- Infants Ages 0-5
Exarcheia, Athens’ Most Alternative Neighbourhood
Athens is about much more than the Acropolis. Get off the beaten track with a visit to Exarcheia, and see for yourself why it was selected among the coolest neighbourhoods of Europe.
With an experienced local guide, you’ll explore the neighbourhood where anarchists, students, intellectuals and artists prefer to live.
Browse second-hand vinyl and vintage fashion, visit independent coffee shops and contemporary art spaces, and try special sweet delights in a part of Athens only known by locals!
Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- By joining this tour you help support local businesses in a neighborhood that doesn’t generally benefit from tourism.
- By visiting 100% local, small-scale businesses, you’ll help them thrive through financial crisis.
- Your tour also supports a 100-year-old local bakery which helps ensure it can continue serving authentic local delicacies.
- By joining this tour, you are helping to keep Exarcheia’s unconventional and creative characters in the spotlight, during times where national forces are creating tension.
Inclusions: Local, English-speaking guide, 4 special sweet delights at 4 different stops, bottled water, and a Greek coffee.
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Duration: 2.5 hours
- Meeting point: At the exit of Panepistimio metro station (in front of the old building of the University of Athens, on Panepistimiou Street).
- Exact GPS Coordinates of the meeting point: 37.980161, 23.733413. View on Google Maps.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///pastels.asks.tables
- Starting time: 1.00 PM
- Ending point: Panepistimio Metro Station
On this Athens walking tour, we’ll head off the beaten track to Exarcheia, the most alternative neighbourhood in Athens, and one that retains an unconventional, youthful identity thanks to its residents.
This is where youth culture blends with revolutionary ideas, street culture, and creativity. Exarcheia is the home of students, anarchists and lefties, intellectuals, artists, refugees, and old local families, giving the area a lively yet local feel.
Get ready to explore the backstreets of the neighbourhood where amazing contemporary art spaces sit alongside second-hand vinyl stores, vintage fashion stores, and independent coffee shops, and see why Nick Cave and the Tindersticks choose Exarcheia for all-night drinking sessions!
Heading off from Panepistimio metro station and the impressive surrounding buildings, we’ll start our tour by sipping a Greek coffee and sampling traditional loukoumades, sinful, Greek-style doughnuts. Continuing our walk, you’ll hear stories of the neighbourhood related to the recent history of the country.
Before walking up to Strefi Hill where you’ll enjoy a panoramic view of Athens and a different perspective of the Acropolis not often seen, we’ll explore stunning Kalidromiou street with its neoclassical buildings, street art, vintage stores, and old coffee shops.
Our next stop will be a local sweets shop established in 1915 where you’ll savour its tasty ice cream flavoured with dry figs and tsipouro, a grape-based alcoholic beverage.
Leaving the sweets shop, we’ll continue our walk through the Exarcheia district, passing by the oldest open-air cinema of Athens. Open-air cinema culture is an important part of Athenian life during the summer. Keep it in mind and why not come back later to watch a movie under the stars?
The Exarcheia walking tour wouldn’t be complete without passing through the main square, the symbol of urban resistance, riots and anarchists, completely covered in graffiti and political posters while being surrounded by buzzing alternative cafes and restaurants.
Before getting back to the meeting point, you’ll have the opportunity to taste more sweet delights at two more stops.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests. You can do so in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout, or by emailing us at [email protected].