Immerse yourself in the city’s ancient history while also learning about Athens as it is today on this jam-packed Athens tour.
- Delight your senses in Athens’ Central Market.
- Indulge in the most unusual and extreme local dishes.
- Enjoy a signature cocktail and two alcoholic beverages at three of our favourite hidden, local spots.
- Sample a gourmet organic snack made by local farmers and artisan producers.
- Learn about the cosmopolitan history of Athens’ poshest neighbourhood.
- Adults Ages 12+
- Children Ages 6-11
- Infants Ages 0-5
Sample Athens’ Culinary Delights
Discover hidden local food spots, retail shops and a quiet oasis in the city’s busiest neighbourhoods as you sample some of Athens’ extreme culinary delights.
Later we’ll show you the city’s coolest neighbourhood for a night out and sip local infused signature cocktails as we kick back and watch the world go by.
Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- Your tour highlights centuries-old recipes, tastes, and traditions that could be lost if not preserved.
- By visiting 100% local, small-scale businesses of the new generation of Athenians, you’ll help them thrive through financial crisis.
- As part of your tour, you’ll meet the owner of a family-run store that serves organic delicacies made from ingredients sourced from his farm in central Greece.
- Your tour supports the creativity of Greece’s new generation of mixologists by taking you to bars to taste signature cocktails and other liquors that are based on traditional spirits and recipes.
Inclusions: Local, English-speaking guide, Tastings of 4 extreme food dishes, (fish, liver, snails, rabbit, tripe soup – at 4 different stops) bottled water, 1 cocktail and 2 alcoholic beverages (3 bar stops), a snack (gourmet sandwich). The food on offer should be more than enough to allow you to skip lunch
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide
- Duration: From 5 to 6 hours
- Meeting point: In front of the Church of the Pantanassa, in Monastiraki Square (next to Monastiraki metro station). Your guide will be standing next to the church holding an Athens Urban Adventures sign. View on Google Maps.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///stitch.icicles.hardly
- Starting time: 2.30 PM
- Ending point: Panepistimio Metro Station
This tour combines two of our most popular group tours: Extreme Bites and Posh Happy Hour.
Make the most of your trip to Athens and experience the city like a local! Your local guide will show you around the best of the Central Market, taking you to places few tourists venture to, helping you to discover a variety of delicious Greek specialties. Athens food is a rich mix of old and new, traditional and modern and this tour is the perfect way to discover all these aspects.
Moving along the old streets of Athens’s downtown, you will discover the traditional tastes of some of the most unusual and extreme local dishes in Athens. Try the most popular hangover cure in Greece, local atherina in the cone (Mediterranean sand smelt), liver, snails and rabbit.
From here, we’ll move to one of Athens oldest and poshest neighbourhoods – Kolonaki, where we will enjoy three signature cocktails in three unique and completely different bars and if that wasn’t enough, we’ll grab a gourmet sandwich made up of all organic ingredients. The home of our snack has been a famous cheesemaker since the 1930s and is known for its collaboration with and support of local Greek farmers and small artisan producers.
This area has some seriously chic credentials too, attracting the likes of Jackie Kennedy Onassis and Melina Merkouri just to name a few.
At the end of the tour, your guide will give you directions on how to go back to your hotel or tell you where to spend the rest of the night with your new friends.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable walking shoes
Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Additional Information: Please wear comfortable walking shoes and inform us of any food allergies. This tour is for all ages but no alcohol will be served to customers under the age of 18. Additionally, people under the age of 18 can enjoy Non-alcoholic beverages
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page. Please notice: This tour is for all ages but no alcohol will be served to customers under the age of 18, guests under the age of 18 will enjoy non-alcoholic beverages.
We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests. You can do so in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout, or by emailing us at [email protected].