Immerse yourself in the city’s ancient history while also learning about Athens as it is today on this jam-packed Athens tour.
- Discover the hippest locales in Athens — trendy coffee shops, music studios, and artists’ workshops — and watch the city’s most innovative creators at work.
- Discover the modern street food scene in Athens and treat your taste buds to some of the locals’ favourite gourmet snacks.
- Meet young local artists and learn about the production of handmade objects in some of our favourite designers’ collectives and shops.
- Visit a herb and spice shop and let yourself be taken away on an exotic trip to every corner of the world through the aromas and flavours of its products.
- Go graffiti hunting and discover the innovative urban art of Athens, home to one of the biggest street art scenes in the world.
- Support a fair-trade cooperative by sipping a tasty coffee provided directly by local coffee producers.
- Each Lonely Planet Experience comes with six-months free access to Lonely Planet’s Guides App which includes over 8,000 destinations guides and unbeatable discounts to Lonely Planet Guidebooks.
- Adults Ages 12+
- Children Ages 6-11
- Infants Ages 0-5
Meet the New Generation of Athenians
Meet the new generation of Athenians and check out how the city centre has transformed into a lively hub due to its creativity throughout the financial crisis.
Join us for this absolute hipster tour and discover Athens’ modern street food scene, its hip coffee bars, and its edgy art and meet some of the people behind this cultural wave.
This is New Athens! On this tour, we’ll help you capture the best spots of the city and blow up your Instagram account!
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world’s leading travel publisher.
Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- This tour supports the new generation of Athenians, such as young artists, by promoting their work and their enterprises to help them thrive through financial crisis.
- At least one store on your itinerary is dedicated to the promotion of the multicultural and multi-ethnic character of the neighbourhoods you visit on this tour.
Inclusions: Local, English-speaking guide, 2 gourmet and organic snacks (2 street food spots), one sweet delight and coffee. You will be offered enough food to comfortably skip lunch!
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Duration: 3 hours
- Meeting point: Korai street/Square in front of the Starbucks (next to Panepistimio metro station)
- Exact GPS Coordinates of the meeting point: 37.979889, 23.732252. View on Google Maps.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///smaller.signal.hinders
- Starting time: 11.30 AM
- Ending point: Monastiraki square
Our hipster walk begins just off Korai Street passing through the numerous stoas (ancient covered walkways) of the city where cult cinemas and hidden stores conjure up old-time stories and feelings of the city.
Our first stop is a jewellery workshop run by a young, local artist. The showroom is located in an old grocery market building in the buzzing city centre. We’ll chat with the artist about her techniques and browse through her unique pieces as we find out what it takes to open a business during turbulent financial times.
At our next stop, you’ll enjoy a gourmet and organic snack in a hip street food eatery that serves up authentic local food, made from traditional recipes of Greece and Minor East. They use only products produced and packaged by local farmers and vendors; by eating here you’re supporting the living of local food producers.
We just love this next stop, a spice house that’s so heady with aromas you will feel as though you have stepped into the ancient Orient.
Here you will learn about the importance of Greece’s geographical location, bringing together traders from East and West. Let your senses be awakened by thousands of years of history as you browse the Asian and African spices, Greek and Balkan herbs, Indian sauces and famous French tea brands.
From the spice shop, we’ll walk through a hidden side street of Athens, loved by the hipster community because of its quaint little bars, cool vibes and charming neoclassical buildings that surround it. If we’re lucky and they’re not recording, we’ll visit a contemporary creative music lab and studio and experience a musical presentation.
A caffeine fix is up next, at a cooperative that promotes fair-trade products, with the aim of directly supporting local producers.
Your next culinary experience is coming from a foodie joint that sits on a lovely pedestrian street. Get into the ethnic mood as you’re welcomed by the friendly owners, enjoy the exotic smells and sample a tasty savory delight made by mamá’s fair hand.
Once you’ve filled your belly, you will take a wander in the Commercial Triangle District, an area that has been completely reborn in the last decade due to the new generation’s creativity through crisis.
Next up we’ll head, via the Red Light District, to one of the most alternative neighborhoods of Athens, known as Psirri. We will pass by artsy alleys, innovative designers collectives, vintage shops, secret underground clubs, and hip hangouts.
Discover old items and recall your childhood memories as we admire the frequent nods to the glorious culture of the 1980s & 90s.
Your Athens Reloaded Hipster walking tour comes to an end with a yummy organic ice cream made with fresh, high-quality products.
From our last stop, you can choose to continue your own personal exploration (your guide will be more than happy to advise you on your next move) or you could join us in another area of the city for a different view of Athens on our Bohemian Tales of the City tour.
Whatever you choose to do, don’t forget to tap up your local guide for more hints and tips on how to get the best out of your trip to amazing Athens!
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable shoes for walking
Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests. You can do so in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout, or by emailing us at [email protected].