Immerse yourself in the city’s ancient history while also learning about Athens as it is today on this jam-packed Athens tour.
- Dive deep into the history of the ancient city of Athens, with a local to guide you.
- Explore the city’s many markets and legendary foodie traditions.
- Wander around the famous neighbourhood of Plaka, and sip coffee at a local’s favourite joint.
- Discover Exarcheia, Athens’ most alternative neighbourhood and see for yourself why it’s considered one of the coolest neighbourhoods in Europe.
- Treat your taste buds to some special sweet delights and sip traditional Greek coffee like a local.
- Adults Ages 12+
- Children Ages 6-11
- Infants Ages 0-5
See the Best of Athens
See the best of Athens on this special total tour that combines our pick of the best markets, ancient ruins, shops, and temples, giving you a comprehensive overview of our fair city and some ideas on what else you can do during your stay!
Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- All of the stores you visit on your tour are 100% locally owned and run. Supporting small-scale, locally-run businesses helps to preserve the traditional character of old Athens.
- By joining this tour you are supporting a street vendor who sells traditional koulouri sesame rings, which helps increase his income.
- At least one store on your itinerary is dedicated to the preservation of locally-produced crafts.
- By joining this tour you are helping to support local businesses in a neighbourhood that doesn’t generally benefit from tourism.
- By visiting a 100-year-old local bakery, your tour helps this historic business continue serving authentic local delicacies.
- By joining this tour, you are helping to keep Exarcheia’s unconventional and creative characters in the spotlight, during times where national forces are creating tension.
Inclusions: Local, English-speaking guide, coffee or soft drink, Koulouri (bread ring), 4 special sweet delights at 4 different stops, bottled water.
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide
- Duration: From 5 to 6 hours
- Meeting point: Kotzia Square, in Athina Avenue between the metro stations of Omonia and Monastiraki, in front of the Mayor Building. Your guide will meet you at the fountain in this square and they will be holding an Athens Urban Adventures sign. View on Google Maps.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///smaller.signal.hinders
- Starting time: 9.30 AM
- Ending point: Panepistimio Metro Station
This total Athens tour combines two of our most popular group tours: Markets, Ruins & Ancient Athens and Exarheia Sweet Sins & Anarchy.
On this Athens market tour, you’ll dive into the Athenian way of life as your guide leads you through the city’s diverse markets. Here you will find every Mediterranean fruit, vegetable, meat, cheese and more on offer. Experiencing local produce is one of our favourite things to do in Athens and you’ll be able to pick out all the local delicacies after this tour!
Overwhelmed with all these warm colours, tastes, and smells, we’ll make our way to the next stop in Monastiraki Square. The name of the square derives from the Greek word for monastery (in the centre of the square sits the Pantanassa Monastery). The square is also home to the Adrian Library, an archaic temple constructed in the Corinthian-style. Not far away is the 18th-century Tzistarakis Mosque, now a ceramics museum.
Next, we’ll explore the square’s flea market, mingle with the friendly merchants and marvel at ancient monuments as you uncover even more Athens history. This is the perfect place to pick up a memento of your Athens travel experience, and the best way to get in touch with Athens market culture.
Then we’ll walk through the charming Thisson area, passing houses from the 17th and 18th centuries along the way. We will stroll around one of Athens oldest neighbourhoods, Plaka, and enjoy a freshly brewed coffee while talking about the city’s past and present.
Then, it’s time to head to Athen’s most punk neighbourhood, Exarheia, and discover the newer, funkier side of Athens!
Treat your taste buds to some special sweet delights, while hearing stories of student rebellions and anarchist riots and get to know the intellectual and artistic side of this buzzing district. Learn about one of the biggest street art scenes in the world and dig up the most unexpected souvenirs in only-locals-know vintage fashion stores, second-hand vinyl stores, and local grocers.
Before you go, don’t forget to ask your local guide for more tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay in amazing Athens.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable walking shoes.
Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Additional Information: Please wear comfortable walking shoes and inform us of any food allergies.
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests. You can do so in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout, or by emailing us at [email protected].