Immerse yourself in the city’s ancient history while also learning about Athens as it is today on this jam-packed Athens tour.
- Spend a whole day tasting and sipping the foodie treasures of Athens.
- Indulge in the most unusual and extreme local dishes available in the city.
- Try the most popular hangover cure in Greece.
- Enjoy a signature cocktail and two alcoholic beverages at three of our favourite hidden, local spots.
- Learn about the cosmopolitan history of Athens’ poshest neighbourhood.
- Adults Ages 12+
- Children Ages 6-11
- Infants Ages 0-5
Enjoy Athens’ Diverse Food Culture
Enjoy Athens’ diverse food culture on this total food tour. See the ‘big five’ of Greek cuisine in their natural habitat — ouzo, feta, olives, olive oil, and koulouri and try some more extreme local delicacies, such as patsas (tripe soup), liver, snails and rabbit. Our tour finishes in the evening after a few rounds of cocktails and delicious finger food in one of the best areas for nightlife in the city. Yamas!
Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- All of the stores you visit on your tour are 100% locally owned and run. Supporting small-scale, locally-run businesses helps to preserve the traditional character of old Athens.
- At least one store on your itinerary is dedicated to the preservation of locally-produced crafts.
- Your tour highlights centuries-old recipes, tastes, and traditions that could be lost if not preserved.
- As part of your tour, you’ll meet the owner of a family-run store that serves organic delicacies made from ingredients sourced from his farm in central Greece.
- Your tour supports the creativity of Greece’s new generation of mixologists by taking you to bars to taste signature cocktails and other liquors that are based on traditional spirits and recipes.
Inclusions: Local, English-speaking guide, Tastings of Greek sweets, koulouri,olive oil, olives, cheeses, rusks, Greek alcohol (wine, ouzo), spices, herbs, and traditional meze (a meze is a small appetiser or side dish),4 extreme food samples, (fish, liver, snails, rabbit, tripe soup (at 4 different stops) bottled water, 1 cocktail and 2 alcoholic beverages (3 bar stops), a snack (gourmet sandwich). Food is more than enough to skip lunch and dinner!
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide
- Duration: From 8 to 9 hours
- Meeting point: Kotzia Square, in Athina Avenue between the metros stations of Omonia and Monastiraki, in front of the Mayor’s Building. Your guide will meet you at the fountain in this square and they will be holding an Athens Urban Adventures sign. View on Google Maps.
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///smaller.signal.hinders
- Starting time: 11.00 AM
- Ending point: Panepistimio Metro Station
This total food tour combines three of our most popular food and drink group tours: Taste of Athens, Extreme Bites, and Posh Happy Hour.
On this jam-packed Athens city tour, we will introduce you to Greek gastronomy. From the most traditional dishes to the most extreme!
We start our journey in the historical centre and taste the ‘big five’ of Greek cuisine in their natural habitat: ouzo, feta, olives, olive oil, and koulouri.
Your local guide will show you around the best of the Central Market, taking you to places few tourists venture and helping you to discover a variety of delicious Greek specialties. From the simple koulouri (a round-shaped bread with sesame seeds) and delicate local pastries to the Greek staples of feta and olives, the Central Market is a feast for the senses. We will also try either an invigorating Greek coffee (in the winter) or a cold frappe in warmer days, which are popular local beverages.
Next on this culinary tour of Athens, we’ll drop by a Greek deli that sells traditional produce and is a popular shopping spot for locals. Here you can chat with the shop owner and ask him about all of his produce — and taste some of course!
Moving along the old streets of downtown Athens, you will discover the traditional tastes of some of the most unusual and extreme local dishes in the city. Try the most popular hangover cure in Greece, local atherina in the cone (Mediterranean sand smelt), liver, snails and rabbit.
If you feel like you may slip into a food coma, our next stop will refresh you as we enjoy three signature cocktails while spotting celebrities in Athen’s posh neighbourhood of Kolonaki.
Come away from this tour with all the pro knowledge you need on Greek gastronomy!
Before you go, don’t forget to ask your guide for more tips on what else to see, do and (most importantly!) eat during your stay in amazing Athens.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable walking shoes
Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Additional Information: Please wear comfortable walking shoes and inform us of any food allergies. This tour is for all ages but no alcohol will be served to customers under the age of 18. Additionally, people under the age of 18 can enjoy Non-alcoholic beverages
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page. Please note: This tour is for all ages but no alcohol will be served to customers under the age of 18, guests under the age of 18 will enjoy non-alcoholic beverages.
We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests. You can do so in the ‘Additional information’ box at checkout, or by emailing us at [email protected].